Melanie Gorelick, associate director of the Community Relations Committee of MetroWest (CRC) is this week's guest blogger.
In prior blogs I addressed BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions): its background, historical context, and how
But it is not enough when one considers the international scale of the issues. Future blogs will address UJC MetroWest’s participation in a new continental initiative, the
The CRC is on the front lines of countering local, national, and international efforts to delegitimize
There is currently a growing movement that aims to turn government and world opinion against
We are beginning to witness this international campaign at the local level. Over the past year, a number of anti-Israel initiatives took place in New Jersey: a local high school debate about "whether Israel should exist"; the infamous dispute on the Princeton campus about the status of Israeli-made hummus in its dining rooms; and calls by Presbyterians to boycott Israel. This past November three anti-Israel programs were brought to
In the wake of these events, CRC geared up its advocacy efforts to counter assaults on
· Advocacy campaigns directed towards senators, representatives, and President Obama during the rise of tensions last fall between
· Successfully urging New Jersey Congressmen to vote against the passage of the Goldstone Report and diffusing tensions during Vice President’s Biden visit to
· The partnership with AJC and community rabbis to successfully counter anti-Israel boycott and divestment efforts at the Presbyterian General Assembly.
· In collaboration with the ADL, MetroWest teens preparing to attend college received training on how to respond to anti-Israel activities on college campuses; CRC facilitated communication among members of the Jewish Faculty Network in order to keep them abreast of what was happening on college campuses in MetroWest.
· The strengthening of relationships with pro-Zionist evangelicals to partner on
· A meeting with the editorial board of the Star-Ledger to discuss our concern about anti-Israel bias and ensure balanced and accurate reporting.
· Mobilizing the community to participate in the BIG (By Israel Goods) Day to counter a plan by anti-Israel activists in
· Organizing three MetroWest buses for this year’s Birthright
As this blog is being written, the Palestinians are refusing to engage in negotiations without preconditions and are using the UN General Assembly to declare a Palestinian state based on pre-1967 borders. The Palestinians continue to vilify
This is a pivotal time in our history. Although