In central Ukraine, about midway between Kiev and Odessa, Cherkassy is both a city and a county. The city has an overall population of 350,000, and 1.5 million more live in the county. The total Jewish population in the area is 8,000-9,000. Federation's partnership began in 1996 through the JDC, and has focused on developing the Jewish community, providing Jewish education, fostering Jewish identity, and aiding the elderly, most of whom live in dire poverty. Projects include:
- An initial grant for the Hesed Center, a senior citizens multi-service facility established and operated by the JDC. An additional amount was later provided by a MetroWest family for a major expansion.
- A family summer camp, one of the most significant Jewish educational opportunities for the Cherkassy community. Counselors from Ofakim/Merchavim and Federation serve at the camp, bringing together Israeli, Ukrainian, and American Jews.
- Community and synagogue missions.
- Establishment of a synagogue in Zvenigorodka in partnership with Greater MetroWest synagogues.
- Direct Absorption of Cherkassy olim in Rishon LeZion.