POSITION OVERVIEW: The Synagogue Administrator plans, coordinates and manages the support staff, facilities, space, systems and operations of MJCBY to ensure the smooth functioning of all congregational activity. S/he is responsible for implementing the policies, principals, guidelines and objectives of the congregation, overseeing its daily operations in a manner consistent with the values of Morristown Jewish Center Beit Yisrael.
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP: The Synagogue Administrator is responsible to MJCBY’s President(s). S/he works closely in collaboration and coordination with the Rabbi as well as the education staff and lay leaders and is responsible for creating a warm, welcoming and caring environment for new, prospective and long-standing members of the congregation.
Specific responsibilities: The Synagogue Administrator is responsible for assuring the performance of the following functions either personally or through his/her staff.
• Responsible for oversight of the comptroller/bookkeeper, who is currently managing and supervising day-to-day financial operations, including billing, bill payments, payroll, banking, accounting, insurance, budgetary compliance, collaborating with the Finance Committee on financial policies and preparing the annual budget.
• Work with lay leadership to develop plans, obtain approval and initiate new programs to generate revenue (ie. grants, fees for building use, advertising revenue).
Administration, Operations and Facilities
• Manage all administrative aspects of the running of the congregation, overseeing the maintenance, security, technology, communications and physical plant of the building in collaboration with lay leadership.
• Coordinate logistic support for all activities, life cycle events, communal celebrations and ongoing projects.
• Oversee management and maintenance of the synagogue calendar, facility usage and logistical support for programs, with guidance from lay leadership. ? Secure and manage vendor contracts, with guidance from lay leadership. ? Hire, train and manage office and maintenance staff.
• Coordinate interdepartmental activities.
Member and Community Relations
• In collaboration with the administrative assistant/office manager, provide support and guidance for all members in a timely and courteous manner. Develop and maintain a positive working relationship with members and their families, as well as prospective members. S/he refers problems and issues to the Rabbi, other professional staff and responsible lay leaders as appropriate. Troubleshoots problems to accommodate member satisfaction and retention.
• With administrative support, support the work of the Membership Committee in addressing questions from prospective members. Support the membership application and renewal processes.
• In collaboration with the comptroller/bookkeeper, manage the development, enhancement and maintenance of the congregation’s membership database (Shulcloud System) to ensure accurate record keeping, and to enhance ongoing contact with all members.
• In collaboration with the administrative assistant/office manager, acknowledge the assistance, help and commitment of volunteers. Provide a sense of connection and importance for volunteer groups and provide occasional administrative support to achieve MJCBY’s mission and goals.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, creative and highly organized, resourceful person with strong interpersonal skills and a continuous improvement mindset. Knowledge of Jewish lifecycle events, Conservative Judaism and prior management experience in a Jewish organization is preferred.
A college degree and minimum of 5 years’ work experience are required.
Submit Resume and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org