Manager of Synagogue Initiatives
Job Title: Manager of Synagogue Initiatives
Department: Community Engagement
Reports to: Chief Community Engagement Officer
The Jewish Federation of Greater MetroWest NJ is continuing its successful work in institutional and individual engagement through our Greater MetroWest synagogues based on the following principles:
- Synagogues are critical partners in the development of a vibrant Jewish community
- The geographic spread (5 counties, 120,000 Jews) in the community presents a significant growth opportunity
- It is imperative to demonstrate “value added” to both individual constituents and organizations.
As such, the Manager of Synagogue Initiatives will design and implement a plan that seeks to position Federation as a convener and provider of services to synagogues:
- Manage the Synagogue Leadership Seminars (SLS): SLS helps synagogues explore common issues, concerns, and trends in synagogue life and helps synagogue leaders, both lay and professional, develop important leadership skills. Under the guidance and direction of the volunteer-driven Synagogue Leadership Council, SLS offers programs and workshops with the goal of strengthening synagogues to enrich Jewish life in the community.
- As a complementary offering to SLS, the Manager will convene Synagogue Presidential Roundtables which serve as informal gatherings for synagogue presidents to best practice share.
- Manage two different volunteer committees– the Synagogue Leadership Council and the Rabbis Roundtable Advisory Committee. This management includes relationship building with its leadership and membership, coordinating meeting agenda and meeting minutes as well as implementing the ideas generated as part of these discussions.
- In coordination with the chair and committee, develop and implement the programs (5 annually) for the Rabbis Roundtable.
- Facilitate a communication strategy for area synagogues and rabbis including the coordination of a monthly synagogue newsletter, Bit of Torah (web videos made by area rabbis and cantors), maintenance of list serves and data hygiene. The Manager will also be called upon on an as-needed basis to connect with individual rabbis or groups of rabbis on behalf of Federation.
- Position him/herself as a community resource by establishing and maintaining on-going relationships with synagogue professional leadership (rabbis, cantors and executive directors) as well as lay leadership of synagogue. Connect individuals to other functions within Federation on an as appropriate basis.
- Serve as an advocate and “subject matter expert” for synagogue life both internally and externally including the maintenance of synagogue information on the Federation website, serving as a “synagogue concierge” for those looking to connect.
- Serve as an internal clearinghouse for colleagues looking to relate to and communicate with synagogues.
- Management of special projects for community rabbis and/or synagogues including missions, possible grant opportunities, rallies, “meet and greets” etc.
- Create a data management system, including the use of a success equation, to track quantitative and qualitative successes.
Education, Skill and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Areas of discipline: Jewish communal professional, public policy, and management.
- Minimum of five years of experience in leadership roles at Jewish communal institutions.
- Futuristic thinker and executor who will continuously create the next level of achievement and will be part of a team that is committed to excellence.
- A wide degree of creativity and independent judgment is expected.
- Be oriented towards collaboration and community-mindedness.
- Experience working with operational and strategic plans, goal setting and hitting milestones.
- Must possess strong written and oral communications skills.
- Familiarity with and understanding of the synagogue space, Greater MetroWest community and/or National Jewish community is a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, data bases and social media.
- Work some evenings and weekends.
Please send resume and cover to email@example.com